Mountains to Make Cowgirl Hearts Sing
Both my cowgirls and I are in love with Grand Teton National Park. We are water and mountain people, so breathtaking peaks and cool lakes and streams were the perfect combination for us. This may be our favorite National Park yet, and it’s a bit of an off-the-beaten-track find compared to its busy neighbor to the north.
Date(s) We Visited: 6/30/15 to 7/6/15
Family Highlights: Hiking along the northeast side of Jenny Lake from String Lake to the Jenny Lake boat dock and back. This was just about right for our crew on a sunny day, and we enjoyed soaking our hot feet and dumping hatfuls of frigid water on our heads from the streams that pour down the mountain. So cool to be right up close to Mount St. John, Hanging Canyon, and Teewinot Mountain and still be on a trail easy enough for a nine-year-old.
Where We Stayed: Signal Mountain Campground. 5 stars, 2 thumbs up. Excellent staff and great facilities with campsites just a stone’s throw away from Jackson Lake. Great tent sites all along the top of the bluff above the lake. Try sites 5-12 for RV sites with electricity and views of the water. Even some RV sites are a bit tight though (30 ft. max), so you may have to park your trailer, disconnect, and then park next to your rig. Flush toilets, pay showers, laundry, gas station and store, restaurant, gift shop, and lodge are all within easy walking distance. We didn’t get to it, but the 3-mile (one way) Signal Mountain Summit Trail is said to be well worth the effort, and you can get to it from the campground by foot.
Laney — Playing with new friends Michael, Chloe, and Louise.
Rich — Canoeing Jenny Lake
Carol — Float trip down the Snake River
Good Eatin’: The Peaks Restaurant at Signal Mountain. We were really impressed by the great service
New Park Friends: Eliska, Hunter, and Jason of Forever Resorts; Chloe and Louise and their parents from Brest, France; and the nice Indiana family who played four-square with us.
Family to Do List:
- Hike around Jenny Lake or take the boat to Inspiration Point
- Visit Meaner’s Ferry and General Store
- Catch the ranger program on scat (that’s critter poop for you greenhorns) at the Visitors Center
- Watch for moose from the Jackson Lake Lodge decks
- Take the Signal Mountain float trip along the Snake River
1. REVIEW — SIGNAL MOUNTAIN LODGE AND CAMPGROUND: http://www.ayearintheparks.org/?p=296
2. ONCE UPON A SUITCASE: http://www.ayearintheparks.org/?p=1
3. WE WERE ON THE WEATHER CHANNEL! http://www.ayearintheparks.org/?p=392